Visit Swiss cities as well as walking in the Swiss mountains on this Journey that features a hike on the Four Headwaters Trail, sandwiched between two homestays with FF Solothurn. The Four Headwaters Trail is a family-friendly trek of about 85 km through the alpine country where the Rhine, Reuss, Ticino, and Rhone rivers begin. It is broken up into five segments, with starting and end points that are serviced by public transport. Hiking through portions of cantons Uri, Graubünden, Ticino, and Valais takes you through unique landscapes, highlighting the central role that water plays for man, animals, and plants throughout the region.
Home Hospitality provided by the Friendship Force club of Solothurn.
Live With a Local
- The itinerary includes the traditional homestay at the beginning and the end of your trip. In between, you will hike the Four Headwaters Trail through the St. Gotthard Massif. Three hosts from FF Solothurn will be with you on the hike.
- Enjoy walking in the Swiss mountains with Swiss friends.
- Farewell party with Solothurn.
- Hiking through portions of cantons Uri, Graubünden, Ticino, and Valais takes you through unique landscapes and highlights the central role that water plays for man, animals and plants.
- Visit several Swiss cities before and after the different portions of your hike.
People from several countries were able to get along very well through their common love of hiking and exploring. - Previous ambassador
Hiking in the Swiss Alps
12 Days / 11 Nights Program and Itinerary:
August 3, 2019 – August 14, 2019
Coordinator: Urs Gantner
All Friendship Force Itineraries are subject to change.
Saturday, August 3, 2019
Meeting with host family
Sunday, August 4, 2019
Town tour Solothurn
Visit gorge of St. Verena (test walk)
Monday, August 5, 2019
Visiting Geneva by train, home of the headquarters of UNO, quayside of lake Geneva, parks, alleys, and smart boutiques.
Option: free day
Tuesday, August 6, 2019
Segment 1: Travel to Andermatt, Oberalppass
Walk 5 to 5 ½ hours to the source of the Rhine and the Vermigel Hut
Highest point is Maighelspass (2421m)
Wednesday, August 7, 2019
Segment 2: From the Vermigel Hut to the Gotthardpass, 5 to 5 ½ hours
Highest point of the trail is the Piz Giübin (2776 m), a great viewpoint.
Thursday, August 8, 2019
Segment 3: Along the lake Lucendro, we discover the source of the Reuss, and we walk to the Piansecco Hut. Around 7 hours of walking.
Friday, August 9, 2019
Segment 4: from the Piansecco Hut to the source of Ticino below the Nufenenpass to Ulrichen/Obergestelen. Around 7 hours of walking, but possibility to “shortcut” with public transport.
Saturday, August 10, 2019
Segment 5: the last segment leads trough Oberwald, Gletsch, and Muttbach up to the Furka pass. Around 7 hours of walking, but possibility to “shortcut” with public transport.
Travel back to host family
Sunday, August 11, 2019
Day with host family
Monday, August 12, 2019
Walking tour in the area of Zermatt, the Swiss mountain city
Tuesday, August 13, 2019
Bern day, Capital of Switzerland
Guided tour of the city with its covered arcades and its fountains
Free time for shopping
Wednesday, August 14, 2019
$1400 USDPrice Includes: FFI and host fees for three nights of homestay with FF Solothurn before the hike and four nights of homestay with FF Solothurn after the hike. Four nights in mountain huts/hotels: Vermigel hut (dinner, night, breakfast, beverages), Gotthardpass Hotel (dinner, night, breakfast, beverages), Piansecco hut (dinner, night, breakfast, beverages), Hotel Grimsel Obergestelen (dinner, night, breakfast). Swiss travel pass for 15 days and other transport, and contingency buffer in case of exchange rate fluctuations.
Know before you go
- Journey number: 15316
- The Four Headwaters Trail is a family-friendly trek of about 85 km through the alpine country where the Rhine, Reuss, Ticino, and Rhone rivers begin. It is broken up into five segments, with starting and end points that are serviced by public transport.
- A Swiss travel pass for 15 days is included allowing you to use public transport like train, bus, boat.
- Must be a good walker, able to walk 5 to 7 hours a day on good mountain trails. You need to be in good condition.
- You will share rooms with other persons in the mountain huts.
- You need good equipment for mountain conditions, like appropriate shoes and a backpack.
- You carry your lunch and clothes for the whole trip.
Friendship Force International provides opportunities to explore new countries and cultures from the inside by bringing people together at the personal level. Through the signature program of home hospitality, local hosts welcome international visitors into their culture, sharing with them meals, conversation, and the best sights and experiences of their region.